WPS, also known as Wi-Fi Protected Setup, is a network security standard which is used to securely connect your devices to your wireless network and is also used to secure your Wi-Fi network. This WPS can be found on most of mobile hotspot routers, including the Netgear Nighthawk M1.
By using this WPS features, any device can be connected to your M1’s Wi-Fi network without the need of the entering Wi-Fi network’s password or accessing the configuration page. However, in order to use this feature, your Wi-Fi device must support WPS. It works only for wireless networks that have WPA Personal or WPA2 Personal security.
There are two ways for you to use the WPS with M1 router.
Use WPS From the NETGEAR Mobile App
1. On your smartphone, connect to the mobile router’s WiFi network.
2. Launch the NETGEAR Mobile app.
3. Swipe down. The dashboard displays.
4. Tap WiFi to show the Wi-Fi page.
5. Tap WPS.
6. Within two minutes, tap or click the WPS button on the mobile device or computer that you want to connect.
Your mobile router M1 and the mobile Wi-Fi device or computer communicate and establish the connection.
Use WPS From a Web Browser
1. Launch an internet browser of your choice from the computer which is connected to the router.
2. Enter Enter http://m.home or http://192.168.1.1. A page will then appear asking for username and password.
3. Enter the administrator login password.
4. Select Wireless.
5. Click the WPS button for the network.
6. Choose the WPS method that you want to use:
• WPS button pairing. If the device that you want to connect includes a WPS button, click the WPS
button pairing button and, within two minutes (120 seconds), press the device’s WPS button.
• Enter WPS PIN. If a WPS pin is associated with the device that you want to connect, click the Enter WPS PIN button and enter the device’s WPS PIN.
Your M1 mobile router and the wireless device communicate and establish the connection.